Online workshop at KDD,
August 14-18, 2021
The 5th edition of Fragile Earth will bring together the research community, industry, and policymakers to develop radically new technological foundations for advancing and meeting the Sustainable Development Goals in a way that ensures equitable and inclusive progress.
The last year has given us a glimpse of the devastation global crises can create. However, global mitigation efforts illustrate how lessening consumption, travel, and even work levels are possible and can have positive spill-over effects.
The technological challenges posed by these development goals are twofold: how to achieve accurate, robust, and scalable modeling on physical, environmental, system, and societal data, and how to ensure that the obtained models are socially acceptable in the chosen context.
Aug. 14: 9:00pm-12:00am (EDT)
9:00pm – 9:10: Intro
9:10 – 9:40: Keynote 1
9:40 – 9:50: Q&A
9:50 – 10:45: Session 1: Machine Learning for the Natural World
- Paper 1: Detecting Cattle and Elk in the Wild from Space
- Paper 2: Global Metagenomic Data from MetaSUB Enables City-specific Microbial Fingerprinting
- Paper 3: A network fusion model pipeline for multi-modal, deep learning for tree crown detection
10:45 – 11:00: Break
11:00 – 12:00: Panel Discussion: Topic TBD
Aug. 15: 5:00pm-9:00pm (EDT)
5:00pm – 5:55: Session 2: Artificial intelligence for Progress in Sustainability and Society
- Paper 1: Reducing Amazon’s packing waste using multimodal deep learning
- Paper 2: Beyond [Anonymized]: A Design Framework for AI-Accelerated Citizen Science for Families
- Paper 3: Beyond modeling: NLP Pipeline for efficient environmental Policy Analysis
5:55 – 6:10: Break
6:10 – 6:40: Keynote 2
6:40 – 6:50: Q&A
6:50 – 7:50: Session 3: Innovation in Resource and Conservation Management
- Paper 1: Sustaining Renewable Resources under Uncertainty
- Paper 2: Model Generalization in Deep Learning Applications for Land Cover Mapping
- Paper 3: Space, Time, and Counts: Improved Human vs Animal Detection in Thermal Infrared Drone Videos for Prevention of Wildlife Poaching
7:50: Final Remarks
EDT: Eastern Daylight Time
Fragile Earth 2021 - Open for Submissions
Submission are now open for papers for Fragile Earth 2021, and we are seeking full papers (up to 8 pages), position papers (up to 4 pages), and policy notes (up to 2 pages).Deadline: May 23rd, 2021, 11:59:59 PM
Share this Page
Join our efforts to unlock AI’s potential towards serving humanity.